SDF (Sans Destination Fixe) was built in 1986 and specified by her first owners as a bluewater cruiser. She was sailed extensively from Canada, along the East coast of America, through the Caribbean, across the Pacific, throughout Australia, Indonesia and Malaysia before being purchased by the current owner in Langkawi in 2013 who then sailed her to Singapore.
The Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40 was designed to be a racer-cruiser, and SDF was fitted by the factory with a very rare (possibly unique for the Sun Fizz) sugarscoop with steps and integrated gas locker, increasing her usability as a long-range cruiser, evident from her history between 1986 and 2013.
Since 2013, the current owner has proven she is still a very competent racing yacht, having won local Twilight and Sunday Series races, as well as cruising the East coast of Malaysia, exploring the various islands around Singapore and participating in several other regattas.
Taking advantage of more free time during Covid lockdown, SDF has been treated to a substantial refit with several upgrades. Many systems have been renovated or replaced at considerable expense, and SDF is now perfectly setup for local sailing, club racing and bluewater cruising, with 300W of solar, a Spectra 30 litres per hour watermaker and long range fuel tank (360L compared with the original 150L). SDF is both registered and flagged in Singapore, meaning the new owners are easily able to cruise internationally while maintaining the Singapore flag if desired.
Fitted with in-mast furling main and roller furling genoa, all lines leading back to the cockpit making SDF easy to sail short-handed or even solo. She is so easy to sail, on our seatrial we were able to hoist the sails and tack single-handed without even using the winches.
Notable recent works include:
- Cockpit table rebuilt & oiled (April 2023)
- Binnacle refreshed and new compass installed (April 2023)
- 2 x new 110AH house batteries (March 2023)
- Antifoul – International micron anti fouling semi-erodible (May 2022)
- Anodes (May 2022)
- Cutlass and rudder bearings checked (May 2022)
- Lavac vacuum toilet serviced & new sanitation hoses installed (2021)
- Raymarine P70 autopilot (2021)
- Raymarine i50 depth & speed log display (2021)
- Raymarine i60 wind system (2021)
- Raymarine AIS(B) 700 (2021) wifi enabled
- Garmin chartplotter software and charts updated (2021), integrated with AIS for target overlay on charts
- Raymarine Seatlalk to SeatalkNG adaptor (systems networked)
- Kiwiprop feathering prop (new 2016, serviced 2022)
- 2 x new bilge pumps (2022)
- New 70A alternator & belt (2022)
- 1 x Varta 12v 105Ah engine start battery (2021)
- Control, gear & throttle cables serviced (2021)
- New running rigging & halyards (2021)
- New wind indicator, tricolour, anchor light & bird spike (2021)
- Genoa restitched (2021)
- New UV strip for Mainsail (2021)
- New tell-tales (2021)
- New JABSCO freshwater pump (2021)
- Engine oil & filter service (2021)
- Gearbox oil service (2021)
- Autopilot hydraulic pump & jack renovated (2021)
- Spectra water maker renovated, adapted to provide both saltwater washdown and freshwater deck shower (2021)
- All cabins fitted with fans & USB ports (2020)
- New Eisenglas in dodger and bimini surrounds (2019)
- Hull repainted in AWLGRIP Marine Blue (2019)
- New Rocna 15kg anchor (2019)
- 10 x new lifejackets
- New engine mounts, bearing seals & gaskets (2019)
- New fridge compressor (2018)
As you would expect for such a well-maintained yacht, there is a lot of paperwork available covering history, receipts and even including manuals. Over the last 36 years, SDF’s engine has run only 4,900 hours. The Perkins 4108 will run for 10,000 before rebuild if the new owner continues to look after it.
Naturally, there is work to be done, as there always is on boats!
- Standing rigging is in good condition, but should be changed before crossing oceans due to age – however is fine for local use though.
- Interior woodwork is in good condition but would benefit from varnishing in places.
- Some of the blocks and winches need a service/attention
SDF is ready to take you to wherever you want, from your local club’s regatta podium to a cruising destination far far away.