Tantara was first launched in 1983 and is a series II Irwin 52. Built by the legendary Ted Irwin, the 52 was designed as the ultimate bluewater cruiser. It was a trend setter, being a deck saloon cruising yacht years before deck saloons became popular amongst all the major yards.
The Irwin 52 made headlines upon launch for the roomy interior and this is most obvious in the luxurious aft-cabin with private head and shower, made even bigger by the raised aft deck. The saloon is huge, even for a 52ft yacht and includes a breakfast bar with bar stools, galley to starboard with fridge, freezer and ice maker plus a washing machine hidden away in a cupboard under the companionway steps. More accommodation ( 2 berths) are port of the galley, and forward of the saloon leads to 2 more cabins sleeping a total of 8 comfortably on board. As you would expect of a yacht of this calibre, there is plenty of storage both below and on deck, with notably vast lazarette at the transom that can easily swallow sails, tender, bicycles(!) and more.
As a cutter rigged ketch, Tantara performs very well under sail, and the 135hp Perkins gives the same performance (8kts) under power. Headsail, fully battened main & mizzen, self-tacking staysail, have all been removed, serviced, cleaned and reinstalled with new sail covers. The Perkins 6.354M has only 1920 running hours and are well known for never missing a beat. Engine, gearbox and generator were all removed, fully serviced and reinstalled during 2022 refit. The shoal keel with centreboard gives owners access to waters otherwise inaccessible in a 52ft yacht, with Tantara’s draft as shallow as 1.6m, extending to 3.05m when needed.
Tantara’s current owners bought her in 1996. A few years later in 2000-2001, Tantara underwent a significant refit in preparation to go long-term cruising. The owners moved on board, cruising and raising their family. Tantara completed a circumnavigation and spent the last few years in Southeast Asia, most recently in Malaysia.
In 2022, Tantara has undergone another substantial refit with most work taking place in a hangar in Boustead Langkawi Shipyard, she is now offered for sale at Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, Malaysia.
Recent notable works include:
- Antifouling – Jotun Seaforce Active in Dark Red (new 2022)
- Hull and deck – fully repainted in white and burgundy (June 2022)
- Non-skid deck grip (new 2022)
- New caprail installed (2022)
- Exterior woodwork, including cockpit re-varnished (June 2022)
- New interior soft furnishings including mattresses, sofas and cushions (new 2022)
- All portlights replaced (new 2022)
- Atkins-Hoyle aluminium hatches removed, serviced, repainted and resealed (2022)
- Both masts repainted (2022)
- All 3 booms repainted (2022)
- Interior woodwork and cabin sole re-varnished (2022)
- Engine & gearbox removed, fully serviced and repainted (2022)
- Generator serviced (2022)
- All new engine, house and generator batteries (2022)
- All refrigeration serviced (2022)
- Hot water tank removed, plumbing and wiring loom remains (2022)
- All 4 sails removed, serviced, cleaned and new sail covers installed (2022)
- New bimini and dodger installed (2022)
- New LED lights installed (2022)
- Running rigging – many new halyards and sheets (2022)
- Standing rigging – surveyed (2022)
- Tender and Yamaha OBM serviced (2022)
- Both spare anchors re-galvanised (2022)
With this list of works already complete, Tantara is arguably the best example of an Irwin 52 in the world today and is ideally suited to a family or cruising couple ready to weigh anchor and start their own adventures.
Contact us today for full specifications and to arrange a viewing in Langkawi. Virtual viewings/video walk through available on request.